WSU & City of Detroit Career Expo
Find your next career in Detroit!
Wayne State University, in partnership with the City of Detroit, will host a Career Expo from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 15, at the Wayne State Fieldhouse.
Wayne State representatives will be available to discuss more than 250 open positions — and, in some cases, conduct brief interviews and make conditional onsite offers to eligible candidates — in areas across the university, including academic administration, management, maintenance, clerical/technical and more. Representatives from the City of Detroit will also be available and looking to fill positions at various levels, ranging from entry level to professional.
This event is free, and free parking will be available at the fieldhouse. Please register in advance for event updates and reminders. We look forward to helping you take the next step toward career success!
Date: November 15, 2022
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Wayne State Fieldhouse
Before Expo - Don't Forget!
- Complete the Guest Daily Screener prior to arriving!
- Prepare to make a great first impression. There's a famous saying that first impressions are everything — especially when it comes to meeting employers. Put your best foot forward by dressing appropriately and leading with a positive attitude.
- Bring your resume and ensure it details all of your career experiences and applicable skills. Make sure it is up to date and have someone review it and offer suggestions.
- Be ready to tell your story. Practice your "elevator pitch" — a quick summary of who you are and what makes you a great employee. Don't be afraid to brag about your skills and accomplishments!
- Do your homework. Research the employer and the positions you are interested in ahead of time. Show prospective employers that you are prepared and know what you're talking about.
- Practice answering common interview questions about your work experiences, your interest in a particular role, or your future goals. Prepare a few questions to ask employers as well.
Schedule of Events
Four drop-in learning experiences will be available to help Career Expo participants feel confident navigating the Expo, making a great first impression with a hiring manager, and continuing the momentum with resources after the Expo.
Sessions are offered in the morning and in the afternoon, facilitated in partnership with Wayne State University Human Resources and Career Services and Detroit at Work (A Michigan Works! Agency) in the designated area on the welcome area floor.
10:15am Getting the most from your Career Expo experience & what's next
10:45am Resume do's and don'ts
11:15am Sharing your story
11:45am Prepare for your first day once you land that job!
12:15pm Getting the most from your Career Expo experience & what's next
12:45pm Resume do's and don'ts
1:15pm Sharing your story
1:45pm Prepare for your first day once you land that job!
2:15pm Getting the most from your Career Expo experience & what's next