How to Enroll in Medical Benefits

Generally, there are three times when you can enroll in or may be able to change your benefits at the University:

If you are a new employee:

Medical benefits require that you enroll by completing the appropriate forms and returning the forms to the Total Compensation and Wellness Department within 30 days of your date of hire. If you fail to enroll in medical insurance within the 30-day deadline, you will be defaulted to no medical insurance coverage. You will not be entitled to the cash-in-lieu of medical benefit or (if you are in an eligible employee group) vision coverage. You will be unable to enroll in a health plan until the next Open Enrollment period, usually in October, with coverage effective January 1st of the following year.

Providing information about other coverage your family members may be entitled to is your responsibility and helps ensure your medical costs are kept as low as possible. If you fail to provide such information when asked by the Medical Providers or Wayne State University, claim payments will be suspended until the information is provided.

Enrollment Guidelines

Documentation Requirements


If you have a Life Status Change...

If you are an employee with more than 30 days of service, you may begin, stop or change your medical coverage as defined by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code and allowed by our plan.

You are required to notify the Total Compensation and Wellness Department of any change in your family status. You have only 30 days from the date of marriage, birth or adoption to add a new dependent. Click here for more life status change information.

Open Enrollment

Generally, medical plan changes are not allowed until the next Open Enrollment period without a qualifying life status change. To change your coverage during Open Enrollment, forms must be returned to the Total Compensation and Wellness Department by the specified deadlines. Click here for Open Enrollment information.

Contact Total Compensation and Wellness within 30 days If...

• You change your address (you may update your address online using Academica)
• Your marital status changes
• Your dependents change
• Your spouse or dependent dies
• You, your spouse or a dependent becomes eligible for Medicare
• You changed jobs at Wayne State University
• You change union affiliation or become non-represented due to a job change
• You are laid off
• You are placed on an unpaid Family and Medical Leave, Workers’ Compensation Leave or Leave of Absence
• You elected to participate in the University’s Cash In-Lieu or opt out program and you lose your other medical coverage

When contacting Total Compensation and Wellness...

Please have your nine-digit Banner ID (Employee ID/Student ID) available for telephone conversations and include it in all correspondence. This ID can be found on your OneCard or paycheck stub.

Back to Medical Insurance