How and when to enroll in Benefits
Generally, there are three times when you can enroll in or may be able to change your benefits at the university:
- Newly hired or newly eligible faculty or staff member, or
- After experiencing a qualified Life Status Change Event, or
- During Open Enrollment
If you are a new employee:
Medical, dental and vision benefits require that you enroll by completing the appropriate forms and returning them, along with the required dependent supporting documentation, to the HR Service Center within 30 days of your date of hire. If you fail to enroll in medical, dental or vision insurance within the 30-day deadline, you will be defaulted to no coverage. You will not be entitled to the Cash in Lieu of Medical benefit or (if you are in an eligible employee group) vision coverage. You will be unable to enroll in a medical, dental or vision plan until the next Open Enrollment period, usually in October, with coverage effective January 1st of the following year.
Providing information about other coverage your family members may be entitled to is your responsibility and helps ensure your medical costs are kept as low as possible. If you fail to provide such information when asked by the Medical Providers or Wayne State University, claim payments will be suspended until the information is provided.
If you have a Life Status Change Event:
If you are an employee with more than 30 days of service, you may begin, change or cancel your medical, dental or vision coverage as defined by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code and allowed by our plan. Life events such as the birth of a child, adoption, marriage, divorce, and deaths are some examples of Life Status Change Events.
You are required to notify the HR Service Center of any change in your family status. You have only 30 days from the date of marriage, birth or adoption to add a new dependent. Learn more about Life Status Change Events.
Generally, medical, dental or vision plan changes are not allowed until the next Open Enrollment period without a qualifying Life Status Change Event. To change your coverage during Open Enrollment, forms must be returned to the HR Service Center by the specified deadlines. Read more information about Open Enrollment.
Contact the HR Service Center within 30 days if...
- You change your address (you may update your address online using Academica)
- Your marital status changes
- Your dependents change
- Your spouse or dependent dies
- You, your spouse or a dependent becomes eligible for Medicare
- You changed jobs at Wayne State University
- You change union affiliation or become non-represented due to a job change
- You are laid off
- You are placed on an unpaid Family and Medical Leave, Workers' Compensation Leave or Leave of Absence
- You elected to participate in the university's Cash In-Lieu of Medical option and you lose your other medical coverage
When contacting the HR Service Center...
Please have your nine-digit Banner ID (found on your WSU OneCard) available for telephone conversations and include it in all correspondence.