Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA)
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA") requires group health plans to permit special enrollment periods for eligible persons who experience a qualified change in status (e.g. birth, marriage, divorce, loss of coverage).
Effective April 1, 2009, the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 ("CHIPRA") adds two new special enrollment events.
- You or your dependent(s) will be permitted to enroll or disenroll in Wayne State University medical coverage in either of the following circumstances.
- You or your dependent's Medicaid or State Children's Health Insurance Program ("CHIP") coverage is canceled due to a loss of eligibility. You must request to enroll in our group health plan within sixty (60) days from the date you or your dependent loses coverage.
- You or your dependent(s) enrolls in Medicaid or the state CHIP. You may cancel coverage in our group health plan within sixty (60) days of your or your dependent's coverage effective date.
- It is your responsibility to notify Human Resources within sixty (60) days after gaining or losing coverage in Medicaid or the state CHIP. Your coverage will be in effect the first day of the month after the special enrollment request is received.
- For further details on Medicaid or the state CHIP (also known as MIChild), contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
- The toll-free number is 1-888-988-6300
- To apply online visit the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services MIChild web page.