New Employee Benefit Checklist


On behalf of the department of Benefits & Wellness, we would like to welcome you to Wayne State University. WSU is committed to your overall health and well-being. Our benefits are competitive and structured to provide high-quality health care and financial protection for you and your family. Your total compensation is comprised of both your salary and the array of benefits offered to you as a benefits-eligible employee while at Wayne State University

To ensure that you have successfully completed all the required paperwork to enroll in benefits, we are providing you with a checklist. This checklist is designed to help you make your initial benefit enrollment selections in a timely manner. You have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll in medical, dental, and vision insurance benefits and Flexible Spending Accounts. Please make your benefit elections carefully. You may not change your medical, dental or vision insurance or Flexible Spending Account elections until the next Open Enrollment period unless you experience a qualifying Life Status Change Event. In order to enroll dependents, there are supporting documentation requirements that must be met. 

For the most detailed information regarding benefits, please refer to the Active Employee Benefits Handbook. All forms can be on the Benefits & Wellness forms web page.


  • I have submitted an Employee Benefit Enrollment Form (if electing medical, dental or vision coverage) within 30 days of my date of hire to the HR Service Center.
  • I have submitted all required dependent supporting documentation to add my dependents to my benefits (i.e. tax form, birth certificates and court orders) to the HR Service Center.
  • I have submitted the Cash In-Lieu of Medical Form within 30 days of my date of hire to the HR Service Center if I am waiving WSU medical insurance because I am enrolled in a non-Wayne State medical plan.
  • I have submitted the Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance/AD&D Enrollment/Change Form. Basic life insurance is paid by the university at no cost to employees, but a form should be submitted, to elect beneficiaries, to the HR Service Center.
  • I have submitted the Flexible Spending Account Application within 30 days of my date of hire to the HR Service Center. Enrollment is not automatic.
  • I have submitted a 403(b) Retirement Plan Salary Reduction Agreement and Predecessor Employer Service Letter (see below) to the HR Service Center. Enrollment is not automatic.
    • Predecessor Employer Service Letter: To bypass the required 2 years of service for university contribution vesting, you are able to submit a letter from a previous employer that meets certain requirements (below). Your Predecessor Employer Service Letter must be received by the HR Service Center within 90 days of your WSU hire date for consideration. Learn more about the 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan.

  • I have submitted a 457(b) Plan Salary Deferral Agreement to the HR Service Center. Enrollment is not automatic.

  • If I had coverage under my former employer's group total disability insurance plan within 3 months of my WSU hire date, I have submitted verification from that former employer to waive the one-year waiting period for eligibility in Wayne State's long-term disability insurance coverage. Verification must be received by the HR service center within 90 days of your WSU hire date for consideration. Click here to learn more. 

  • I have enrolled in the Wellness Warriors Program. Enrollment is not automatic. Click here for more information. 

All benefits forms are found here:

In-depth information regarding all benefits administered by the department of Benefits & Wellness is available right here on our website. Please use the menu to the left to explore all of the benefits available to you. You may not be eligible for all benefit plans listed. Please reference your union contract or employee manual for details.

You can monitor your enrollment and ongoing benefit activity via your electronic Benefit Statement and Pay Stub on Academica. See your departmental administrator for instructions on how to access Academica.