Part-Time Faculty (PTF) Benefits
AFT Local 477, AFL-CIO
Wayne State University is pleased to offer the following benefit options to eligible Part-time Faculty:
The following benefits are available to Part-Time Faculty members who are bargaining unit eligible and/or members of the bargaining unit with two or more years of service. See Articles XXVII 403 (b) Retirement Program, Article XXVIII Tuition Reimbursement and Article XXIX Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance. View more information about the agreement details.
Program Information and Forms
- Voluntary Dental & Vision Program Summary
- Voluntary Dental & Vision Enrollment Form
- 403(b) Retirement Plan Salary Reduction Agreement – Part-Time Faculty Only
- Part-Time Faculty Payroll Schedule
- Delta Dental Summary
- Summary of Vision Benefits
Voluntary Dental & Vision Insurance Program
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Program provides Part-Time Faculty (PTF) with the opportunity to purchase coverage at their own expense. Eligibility requirements for participating in the program include the following:
- Completion of two years of service as Part-Time Faculty
- Expected take-home pay must equal 130% of all benefit deductions
- A reasonable expectation that the bargaining unit member will teach at least one full semester course in each of the Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 semesters
- Enrollment/re-enrollment in selected eligible benefits annually by the specified deadline
Voluntary Dental Coverage: Delta Dental provides for routine cleanings and other services annually. Diagnostic and preventative services are covered at 100%. The plan has a $1,000 per enrolled participant total per Benefit Year maximum payment for eligible services. The cost of the plan is paid 100% by the employee.
Voluntary Vision Coverage: Part-time faculty can select between two vision plan options: Basic Vision Plan and Enhanced Buy-Up Vision Plan, to best meet their vision needs. The cost of the plan is paid 100% by the employee.
UPTF members that elect to participate in the Voluntary Dental and/or Vision programs are subject to the following provisions:
- The coverage will remain in force for the 2019-2020 plan year (September 1, 2019, through August 31, 2020) subject to eligibility guidelines.
- Change or cancellation of coverage will only be permitted for IRS allowed Life Status Change event (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth, loss of eligibility, etc.).
- If the UPTF member does not teach at least one course in the Winter 2020 semester, coverage will be canceled as of December 31, 2019, and any overpayment may be forfeited (the participant will have the option of continuing coverage through COBRA).
- Premiums for Dental and/or Vision insurance will be payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis over 14 paychecks, starting with the pay of 10/16/19 and ending with the pay of 5/13/20 (Dental and/or vision deductions will not be taken on the pay dates of 12/11/19 or 4/29/2020 – Scheduled No Deduction Pay ).
- The UPTF annual enrollment period will be conducted from August 15th through September 6th, 2019. Upon the completion of the enrollment period, additional enrollments will not be permitted. The effective date of coverage for all enrolled UPTF eligible members completing the authorized enrollment form coverage is September 1, 2019.
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance Plan provides coverage to eligible enrolled dependents. Anyone requesting coverage for dependents must submit a copy of the appropriate supporting documentation with the enrollment form by the specified deadline. View the needed supporting documentation requirements.
2019 - 2020 Academic Year Voluntary Vision and Dental Premiums
Basic Vision Plan
Enhanced Vision Plan
Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child
In any semester that an eligible member of the bargaining unit teaches at least two (2) credits, or .12 FTE, the employee will earn a 50% tuition reduction benefit that can be applied, if a spouse, Other Eligible Person, and/or dependent of the member is attending WSU in that semester. This benefit will be applied to eight credit hours. This benefit does not carry over, but must be used in the semester that the unit member teaches. Members who complete and submit the documentation shall have a dependent's tuition bill reduced by 50%; those who complete it after the deadline shall be reimbursed. For more information on Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child, Read more information on Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child benefit.
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
All eligible PTF members are able to contribute employee contributions (up to 80% of your bi-weekly salary). University matching contributions begin when the employee reaches age 26, per the university's 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan. The following applies:
- Any represented PTF who has completed two consecutive years of employment at WSU is eligible to enroll.
- Once qualified, an Employee may enroll at any time.
- Once enrolled, an Employee may contribute up to the maximum permitted by law.
- All options permitted by the University's contracts with TIAA and Fidelity will be open to participating PTF.
- Beginning with the fall semester of 2020, the Employer will contribute one and one-half percent (1.5%) of salary to the retirement account of any participating employee contributing at least five percent (5%) of salary.
- Beginning fall 2021, the Employer will contribute one and three-quarters percent (1.75%) of salary to the retirement account of any participating employee contributing at least five percent (5%) of salary.
- Beginning fall 2022, the Employer will contribute two percent (2%) of salary to the retirement account of any participating employee contributing at least five percent (5%) of salary.