Part-Time Faculty (PTF) Benefits
Wayne State University is pleased to offer the following benefit options to eligible Part-time Faculty (AFT Local 477, AFL-CIO) members who are bargaining unit eligible and/or members of the bargaining unit with two or more years of service.
Voluntary Dental & Vision Insurance Program
Annual Enrollment: August 22 - September 2, 2022
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Program provides Part-Time Faculty (PTF) with the opportunity to purchase coverage at their own expense. Eligibility requirements for participating in the program include the following:
- Completion of two years of service as Part-Time Faculty
- A reasonable expectation that the bargaining unit member will teach at least one full semester course in each of the Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 semesters
- Enrollment/re-enrollment in selected eligible benefits annually by the specified deadline
- Dental & Vision Insurance
Voluntary Dental Coverage
Delta Dental provides for routine cleanings and other services annually. Diagnostic and preventative services are covered at 100%. The plan has a $1,000 per enrolled participant total per Benefit Year maximum payment for eligible services. The cost of the plan is paid 100% by the employee. Group #: 5989-0002. Summary of Delta Dental Benefits
Voluntary Vision Coverage
Part-time faculty can select between two EyeMed vision plan options: Basic Vision Plan (Group #: 9730946-1002) and Enhanced Buy-Up Vision Plan (Group #: 9862145-1002), to best meet their vision needs. The cost of either plan is paid 100% by the employee. Summary of EyeMed Vision Benefits
- Dental & Vision Program Provisions
The coverage will remain in force for the 2022-2023 plan year (September 1, 2022 through August 31, 2023) subject to eligibility guidelines.
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance Plan provides coverage to eligible enrolled dependents. Anyone requesting coverage for dependents must submit a copy of the appropriate supporting documentation during enrollment by the specified deadline.
Change or cancellation of coverage will only be permitted for IRS allowed Life Status Change event (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth, loss of eligibility, etc.).
If the UPTF member does not teach at least one course in the Winter 2023 semester, coverage will be canceled as of December 31, 2022, and any overpayment may be forfeited (the participant will have the option of continuing coverage through COBRA).
Premiums for Dental and/or Vision insurance will be payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis over 14 paychecks, starting with the pay of 10/12/22 and ending with the pay of 5/10/23 (Dental and/or vision deductions will not be taken on the pay dates of 11/23/22 or 4/26/2023 – Scheduled No Deduction Pays).
The UPTF annual enrollment period will be conducted from August 22nd through September 2nd, 2022. Upon the completion of the enrollment period, additional enrollments will not be permitted. The effective date of coverage for all enrolled UPTF eligible members completing the authorized enrollment form coverage is September 1, 2022.
2022 - 2023 Academic Year Premiums
Coverage Level Dental
Single $24.94 $7.25 $12.79 Two Person $48.87 $13.73 $24.21 Family $87.63 $20.21 $35.62
- Dental & Vision Enrollment
- Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Dependent
In any semester that an eligible member of the bargaining unit teaches at least two (2) credits, or .12 FTE, the employee will earn a 50% tuition reduction benefit that can be applied, if a spouse, Other Eligible Person, and/or dependent of the member is attending WSU in that semester. This benefit will be applied to eight credit hours. This benefit does not carry over, but must be used in the semester that the unit member teaches. Members who complete and submit the documentation shall have a dependent's tuition bill reduced by 50%; those who complete it after the deadline shall be reimbursed. For more information on Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child, visit the Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child benefit webpage.
For help applying: Reduced Spouse/Child Tuition Assistance Online Application Instructions
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
All eligible PTF members are able to contribute employee contributions (up to 80% of your bi-weekly salary). University matching contributions begin when the employee reaches age 26, per the university's 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan Document. To learn more visit the WSU 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan webpage.
The following applies:
- Any represented PTF who has completed two consecutive years of employment at WSU is eligible to enroll.
- Once qualified, an Employee may enroll at any time.
- Once enrolled, an Employee may contribute up to the maximum permitted by law. All options permitted by the university's contracts with TIAA and Fidelity will be open to participating PTF.
- Beginning fall 2022, the Employer will contribute two percent (2%) of salary to the retirement account of any participating employee contributing at least five percent (5%) of salary.Download this quick guide to get started.
or follow these steps:
- Log into Academica
- Click 'Employee Resources'
- Click 'Employee Self Service'
- Click 'Retirement Savings Plan Enrollments and Changes'
For further information, see Articles XXVII 403 (b) Retirement Program, Article XXVIII Tuition Reimbursement and Article XXIX Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance of the collective bargaining agreement.