Part-Time Faculty (PTF) Benefits
AFT Local 477, AFL-CIO
Program Information and Forms
Wayne State University is pleased to offer the following benefit options to eligible Part-time Faculty:
The following benefits are available to Part-Time Faculty members who are bargaining unit eligible and/or members of the bargaining unit with two or more years or service. See Articles XXVII 403 (b) Retirement Program, Article XXVIII Tuition Reimbursement and Article XXIX Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance. To view agreement click here.
Voluntary Dental & Vision Insurance Program
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Program provides Part-Time Faculty (PTF) with the opportunity to purchase coverage at their own expense. Eligibility requirements for participating in the program include the following:
Completion of two years of service as Part-Time Faculty
Expected take-home pay must equal 130% of all benefit deductions
A reasonable expectation that the bargaining unit member will teach at least one full semester course in each of the Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 semesters
Enrollment/re-enrollment in selected eligible benefits annually by specified deadline
Voluntary Dental Coverage: Delta Dental provides for routine cleanings and other services annually. Diagnostic and preventative services are covered at 100%. The plan has a $1,000 per enrolled participant total per Benefit Year maximum payment for eligible services.The cost of the plan is paid 100% by the employee.
Voluntary Vision Coverage: Part-time faculty can select between two vision plan options: Basic Vision Plan and Enhanced Buy-Up Vision Plan, to best meet their vision needs. The cost of the plan is paid 100% by the employee.
UPTF members that elect to participate in the Voluntary Dental and/or Vision programs are subject to the following provisions:
- The coverage will remain in force for the 2019-2020 plan year (September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020) subject to eligibility guidelines.
- Change or cancellation of coverage will only be permitted for IRS allowed Life Status Change event (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth, loss of eligibility etc.).
- If the UPTF member does not teach at least one course in the Winter 2020 semester, coverage will be cancelled as of December 31, 2019 and any overpayment may be forfeited (the participant will have the option of continuing coverage through COBRA).
- Premiums for Dental and/or Vision insurance will be payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis over 14 paychecks, starting with the pay of 10/16/19 and ending with the pay of 5/13/20 (Dental and/or vision deductions will not be taken on the pay dates of 12/11/19 or 4/29/2020 – Scheduled No Deduction Pay ).
- The UPTF annual enrollment period will be conducted from August 15th through September 6th, 2019. Upon the completion of the enrollment period, additional enrollments will not be permitted. The effective date of coverage for all enrolled UPTF eligible members completing the authorized enrollment form coverage is September 1, 2019.
The Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance Plan provides coverage to eligible enrolled dependents. Anyone requesting coverage for dependents must submit a copy of the appropriate supporting documentation with the enrollment form by the specified deadline. Supporting documentation requirements can be found here.
2019 - 2020 Academic Year Voluntary Vision and Dental Premiums
Basic Vision Plan
Enhanced Vision Plan
Reduced Tuition for Spouse/Child
An eligible represented Part-time Faculty is eligible for a 50% tuition reduction for his/her spouse and/or eligible dependents, up to the same number of credits that the Part-time Faculty person is teaching for the term for which benefits are requested (for those members whose work is not expressed in credit hours, see terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement). The program does not cover fees of any kind and does not provide tuition benefits for the Part-Time Faculty person herself/himself. For more information on Reduced Ruition for Spouse/Child, please click here.
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
All eligible PTF members are able to contribute employee contributions (up to 80% of your bi-weekly salary). Some PTF members, who are age 26 or older and have completed two consecutive years of employment at the university with each year of employment consisting of teaching during at least two of the three academic-year terms and have a reasonable expectation of employment in the future, could be eligible to receive employer matching. The employer matching is .75 of 1% as long as the PTF member contributes at least 5%.